How much money could cover a fortnight in NYC?

home theater ideas for small rooms
 on Home Theater Design Ideas: Watch Theatre in Your Home Media Room
home theater ideas for small rooms image



afterbirth


I first visited NYC at 13 on a trip from my home in the UK, and since then I've been dying to get back there. Now I'm finally earning my own wageand I'm thinking of both a little escapism from troubles at home and fulfilling a 6 year long urge to revisit. So my first of many questions that are probably to come would be how much money (in any form - cash/travellers cheque) would cover me for a fortnight in the city? Ideally I'd like to stay on Manhattan for familiarity but I think its going to be a little difficult on budget so if location is something to factor in could anyone give me a basic range of both? Cheers guys!


Answer
OK -

I'm going to make an assumption that you have saved up some money, and that you live in a middle class lifestyle. But I'll also assume that you're going to travel alone, and do not want to stay in a hostel....

First, let's assume that you find a bargain room on Manhattan Island. The cheapest I've heard of acceptable places to stay costing is $200/night. (And I'd expect to spend more in the central tourist districts.)

Second, I'll spend a little more money on food than Rachel Ray does, and assume you'll spend around $50/day there.

Third, tourist attractions in NYC add up to a lot of money. But it makes more sense to visit the neighborhoods (such as Greenwich Village, Chinatown, and even Brooklyn Heights) on some days, walking around and exploring. So I'll budget another $40/day there.

Fourth, I'll budget $10/day for mass transit. (You'll want to look up the price of MTA's weekly passes - that will save you some serious money, and make things more convenient for you.)

So far, I believe that we've budgeted $300/day - $4,200 for two weeks. That number can go up quite a bit if you buy a lot of expensive Tchotchkes (a New York word that few spell right, but almost everyone knows). You'll also note that I have not included any money for "Broadway" shows, or concerts - New York prices for theater and musical perfoemances are some of the highest in the world, and London (from what I've been told) in this area may be a bargain in compatison.

There are some very good ways to cut my cost figures and make NYC an affordable trip. First, find someone to share the lodging with. That'll cut your major cost in half. Next, do not eat in the touristy areas of town. Instead, go into an ethnic neighborhood - Flushing has a large Asian community, and you can eat well for a small amount of money. If you want Italian food, stay away from Manhattan's "Little Italy" and go up to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. But ask around for ideas - most New Yorkers have good ideas of where to eat cheap and well.... (Be careful of people who equate quantity of food with the quality of food.)

If you can find a way to stay in a good hotel in the outer boroughs near a subway station, you might be able to save some big money. But, being a New Yorker, I'd be very leery of telling someone coming to New York on their first time as an adult, to stay in the outer boroughs before exploring them on a first visit.... The quality varies too much to take a chance. (Read all the reviews you can from the major sites - and try to avoid places with an AAA rating of less than 2 diamonds.)

Good Luck!!!!

How should my Spare Room be set up? (Basement)?




Anissa


I have already have one guest room, but I want the basement to have additional accomodations if I have a lot of guests over the holidays. My basement is fairly large. I currently have a sofa and chair in the basement. The sofa is a regular one, not a sofa bed. I also want to keep a small area set aside for an office area w/ my PC and printer, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas for how to set this up. Should I purchase a sofa bed for this area? I could use the additional seating too because I want the basement (when guests are not in town) to be a place of entertaining like a home theater. Any advice would be helpful.


Answer
Only invest in a sleeper sofa if you really have company often enough to use it. They are fairly expensive and the mattresses being folded all the time gradually damages the sponge. A matching pair of futons would give you the same sleeping area and more seating.

Maybe you could set up your office at one end and use the sofa as the divider, backing it up to the desk or a pair of bookcases.

Then set up the living room, tv area in one half of the room. Good Luck.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar