home theater design with bar image
lmdlcc
I am interested in living in Washington and going to school, finding a job, buying a home, starting a family; the whole deal. But I have no idea how and where to start my search! I love the mix of city life and beautiful forests that Washington has to offer but I want to hear from those who live or have lived in the state and what their Home town has to offer.
Time to boast about your community, schools, universities/collages, job opportunities (extra points for any that are heavy in the computer/animation/design fields) and the fun things that your city has to do! Thank you for all your insight and I hope to see some great stories from you all!
Answer
I grew up just to the north/northwest of DC, in the Bethesda/Rockville area. I love DC and am actually actively looking to move back. However, if I were to move back to the area, I'd want to live in Silver Spring (just east of where I grew up). It's just adjacent to the city, so it's considered an inner suburb. It has its own downtown area with office buildings as well as restaurants, bars, supermarkets, an old movie theater that's been recently renovated, and all kinds of other businesses. It's got easy highway access, and it's affordable by Washington DC area standards, but also the Metro so getting downtown is quite easy. Plus it's in Montgomery County, so has one of the best public school systems anywhere. I really, really love Silver Spring - I've had four generations of family live there. So even though I grew up a couple suburbs away, I really consider Silver Spring home.
I unfortunately am not in the tech industry at all, but I know many of the employers in that field are in the Virginia suburbs (heading towards Dulles Airport). Unfortunately, that corridor has some of the worst traffic in the area, which has some of the worst traffic in the country.
I grew up just to the north/northwest of DC, in the Bethesda/Rockville area. I love DC and am actually actively looking to move back. However, if I were to move back to the area, I'd want to live in Silver Spring (just east of where I grew up). It's just adjacent to the city, so it's considered an inner suburb. It has its own downtown area with office buildings as well as restaurants, bars, supermarkets, an old movie theater that's been recently renovated, and all kinds of other businesses. It's got easy highway access, and it's affordable by Washington DC area standards, but also the Metro so getting downtown is quite easy. Plus it's in Montgomery County, so has one of the best public school systems anywhere. I really, really love Silver Spring - I've had four generations of family live there. So even though I grew up a couple suburbs away, I really consider Silver Spring home.
I unfortunately am not in the tech industry at all, but I know many of the employers in that field are in the Virginia suburbs (heading towards Dulles Airport). Unfortunately, that corridor has some of the worst traffic in the area, which has some of the worst traffic in the country.
What is the difference between department 56's Dickens Village and Snow Village?
Jean B
I accidentally bought 2 pieces- 1 from each set, and am trying to decide which set to keep: Dickens or Snow Village. I'd like to know more about how they are different.
Answer
First, a little info... I've been an avid collector of the Dickens Village series of Department 56 for about 15 years. I own over 60 buildings and about as many accessories. The Snow Village was the first "village" of ceramic (and/or porcelain) houses/ figures that Dept. 56 began producing in 1976. Next was the Dickens Village in 1984. If I had to generalize, I find that the theme and design of the Snow Village resemble 1950s small town America, somewhat modern yet nostalgic. Copyrighted pieces, like a Harley Davidson shop, for example, are just a small part of this wide ranging series. Bowling alleys, movie theaters and drive- ins, etc. Of course, the Snow Village is the original, so it's certainly still very relevant and collectible. My favorite, obviously, is Dickens. It's basically a model of what London and its surrounding countryside resembled in the 1830s- 1870s, coinciding with Dickens' life, idealized of course. Manor homes, castles, mills, old stone churches, combined with the urban life of hotels, bars, schools, etc. The choice is up to you, good luck and happy collecting. Careful, it can become addictive, as they create many new pieces each year.
First, a little info... I've been an avid collector of the Dickens Village series of Department 56 for about 15 years. I own over 60 buildings and about as many accessories. The Snow Village was the first "village" of ceramic (and/or porcelain) houses/ figures that Dept. 56 began producing in 1976. Next was the Dickens Village in 1984. If I had to generalize, I find that the theme and design of the Snow Village resemble 1950s small town America, somewhat modern yet nostalgic. Copyrighted pieces, like a Harley Davidson shop, for example, are just a small part of this wide ranging series. Bowling alleys, movie theaters and drive- ins, etc. Of course, the Snow Village is the original, so it's certainly still very relevant and collectible. My favorite, obviously, is Dickens. It's basically a model of what London and its surrounding countryside resembled in the 1830s- 1870s, coinciding with Dickens' life, idealized of course. Manor homes, castles, mills, old stone churches, combined with the urban life of hotels, bars, schools, etc. The choice is up to you, good luck and happy collecting. Careful, it can become addictive, as they create many new pieces each year.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar