What makes you qualified to answer questions on home theater?

home theater equipment design
 on INTERIOR DESIGN HOME THEATRE � Interior Design
home theater equipment design image



Kevin L


I often see people giving advice on home theater or music systems that are completely wrong or is just really poor advice. There should be a section in this forum that gives a persons qualifications so people can be assured they are getting good advice. I'm curious what makes you think you are a expert and should be giving advice to others? What schooling or books have you used and give a synopsis of your philosophy on what makes a good sounding system and what to look for in speakers and equipment. I have been designing high end audio video systems for of 40 years now and have designed using some of the very finest in home audio video equipment. What's your background ?

Kevin
Edit: Yes I will be going to the Newport Audio show Friday for sure, maybe and hopefully Saturday. Would be happy to meet you on Saturday if I go. Email me and I'll give you my phono number.

Kevin
Edit: Love your answer Alan, and would agree with you on vintage gear, its all built like a tank. I also think that much of the vintage gear was more concerned about sound quality then all these features that actually degrade sound. The parts quality of todays receivers is really pretty poor in comparison that is why I recommend integrated amplifiers as they use better parts typically which results in better sound of course.



Answer
I rarely ever ask or answer here anymore, I've moved on to forum's. Forum's definitely have more knowledge about home audio but I ask here sometimes because there are exceptions like you, A/V Daddy, Grumpy Mac and a few others.

I answer the questions I know can answer. I've been a big denthusiast for the past 10 years and know more than the average person. But I've also recently switched from home theater (multiple channels) to only 2 channels (stereo) because I listen to music way more often. I guess one day I can have both in separate rooms!

Anyone going to the Newport Show??

What equipment do I need for a home theater system?




Tom C


I have no knowledge on home theater systems. I bought a new TV and am getting a 5.1 speaker system for Christmas. How does it connect to the TV? I've heard things about AV receivers. Is one needed to hook this up? Explain in layman's terms please.


Answer
A home theater audio system requires a minimum of 5.1 speakers with the .1 being the subwoofer. 5 speakers are left and right main speakers, 1 center channel speaker, and two surround speakers. These speakers then need a amplifier with amplification for all the speakers (except for the subwoofer, as they are generally self powered). You also need a preamplifier which allows you to plug in all your audio sources and for extra costs can have video switching as well. This preamplifier will also have surround sound processing which will decode the surround material from the movie soundtrack and decode it to the appropriate speakers. This amplification and preamplifier can be separate which gives you the best sound or built in with ether a integrated amplifier, or receiver (which also has a built in tuner or radio) The more they are separated out and not built into one piece you will get better performance and sound quality.

There are vast differences in the quality of speakers and components and each part of the system is important and contributes to the sound quality. It is endless what you can spend easily in the millions, to very cheap all in one systems. Be very careful in buying cheap surround systems as most not only sound bad, but are not built to last and if anything breaks ( and it will in these cheaper systems) it will more expensive to fix than what the system is worth.

So do yourself a favor save some money, buy a decent system that will actually sound good, and last. The best place to buy a good system is your local independent high end audio video store as they carry the better lines of speakers and equipment and the salesmen have years of experience designing and installing better systems. Sure most of these stores carry some of the very best and very expensive systems, but they also generally carry some exceptional sounding budget gear as well, so they can pretty much design a system for most every ones budget.

Don't be surprised if your not familiar with the better brands of speakers and equipment, as they do not advertise on TV or the typical generic audio magazines. The better equipment is only reviewed and publicized in the better magazines like The Perfect Vision, and Stereophile, because they have highly knowledgeable and experienced audio video reviewers who know what they are doing.

Forget the chain stores as they have no clue what they are doing, and 98% of the equipment they carry low end anyway.

Do yourself a favor save up some money, discover a high end dealer in your area, take your time, and learn about the better systems and equipment and you will then have a system that will actually sound good, and you can be proud to own.

Kevin
40 years high end audio video specialist




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar