What are some of the pros and cons of a HTPC (Home Theater PC) set-up?




Retodd


Would you recommend I do this? Why or why not? A lot of people build their own, and some people get Dell XPS computers for this. Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!
I've also heard of people using their XBoxes for this. What's up with that?



Answer
I don't know where the first guy gets his info but the picture density and quality out from a computer is far superior to what is normally displayed on a standard tv.
HTPC's are a good Idea if you have a lot of media you wnat to listen or watch on your Home Theater. to get your best sound connect the audio from the computer to your home theater do not just use your computer speakers. the best HTPC's are built not purchased you have to select the machine, video card, sound card, TV tuner card and media server software wisely .
I have left you a link to a site with HTPC forums to help you make your decision properly rather than going with what is said here. There is a large HTPC community out there.

I want to do a home theater PC but using a LAPTOP. Cost? Equipment? Feedback please...?




Mr. Price


This is a multi-faceted question that is for all of the tech people on the leading edge.

Background: I have a beautiful 55â plasma (1080p) TV and Iâm paying way too much for cable. I donât watch cable TV that much but I figure if I drop it I will save around $70 a month. My P.C. is getting older and I have been looking at replacing it.

Question: I want to do a home theater PC but using a LAPTOP. The purpose is to use it as the center my of setup and just watch stuff off the internet. Has anyone done this? Cost? What equipment? Do you hate it now? Any details would be great.



Answer
It sounds like your looking at a setup that does NOT include any cable/satellite/over the air television. Also you seem to be getting the idea that all of your programming will be coming from the Internet or DVD and/or Blu-ray discs. If this is the case than you won't have to worry too much about hard drive space and you won't need to get a tuner. The following equipment will be based on this assumption.
The laptop needs to have a few essential features.
First is the video output. DVI with HDCP support or an HDMI port is absolutely necessary. Without it you will be stuck with analog VGA which could possible cause problems in viewing certain movies, especially Blu-ray movies.
Second is the CPU. A 64-bit multi-core CPU that runs at 2.3 GHz or better is best. This will allow the OS to use one CPU core while the other is being used by the movie, in theory at least.
Third is the video adapter/GPU. Avoid any Intel cards as much as possible. Also make certain that the video card is not integrated. For ATI make certain that the card is a Radeon HD. For NVIDIA a Geforce GT, GTS, or GTX. For both manufacturers the higher the number the better.
Fourth is the sound. Without a doubt you will want an add-on external sound card. Creative makes good stuff for a decent price.
Most anything else is up to you and can effect the price up or down. For a hard drive I would say get at least a 300GB drive if you don't plan on saving everything you come across. If you do than go for 500GB+. For RAM 2GB will get you by while 3GB or more will just be icing on the cake. As for an optical drive, if you plan on watching Blu-ray discs than get the Blu-ray drive, just make certain that the computer comes with a good player like PowerDVD or WinDVD. If not than a DVD drive will be fine. The last consideration would be networking. Most laptops come with 802.11g WiFi with others sporting the latest 802.11n WiFi adapters. 802.11n is only necessary if you have a server set up somewhere in the house that can stream media to the laptop. If you have no idea what that is than 802.11g will work just fine. For the OS you will most likely have to select between Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional. For this application it really your choice.
So now that I've rambled on about the features you want to look for here is my recommendation for the best laptop to do what you need: SONY VAIO FW Series VGN-FW590FWB. Of course this is a $1,500+ laptop. You can do better price wise if you search around and price out something on your own. Expect to spend somewhere around $1,200 or better to get what you really need.

Lastly make certain to pick up a remote control or wireless keyboard and mouse so that you can control the laptop without having it in front of you at all times with wires going everywhere. Oh, and if you do want to include a tuner, get an external USB tuner that will work with Windows Media Center.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar