Major in Technical Theatre, Design and Technology?




Dynamite


I am currently a Freshman at Penn State university and I'm considering majoring in technical theater. I want to know if this is ridiculous.

I did stage crew at my school for 3 years and I loved it. We had a great program and I got a lot of experience. What I am wondering is, can you make a living off of it? Can you settle down and have a family while still working for a theater? If bigger shows only need one design, what happens to the designer after they've designed the show?

Is this feasible?

I love this and it is my passion but I need to know if this would be a waste of my time and money. Should I just major in forensic science or international business or something? any information would be appreciated.



Answer
I am thrilled to be answering a tech theatre question.
First of all, yes, you can make a living at tech. You can make a steady and even lucrative living, provided you aren't a costumer. (sad but true). I frequently advise performing arts students to learn enough tech to get jobs in the theatre as techs or Audio visual techs so they can work their way through college. At entry level, it pays double what you earn slinging burgers. It is definitely a better bet than acting. And no one questions that as a major, even though you are far less likely to make a living acting.

You eventually need to decide to go union or non-union. To start with stay on-union while you try everything and find your passion. Then if you really want to commit to one type of tech, you can consider becoming a union stagehand. The pay and benefits can be better. But the restrictions are not for everyone.

There is a huge difference between designers and techs. Designers do just that - design. Techs make the designs happen. The bigger the theatre, the bigger the divide. In some very small theatres the lighting designer also hangs and focuses their own rig. In larger theatres, they might never touch a light or light board. And there is every level in between. Similar goes for sound, set, and costume designers. And let us not forget stage managers. In small theatres, they might also run light board or do front of house. In larger theatres, they have a much more defined role.

But you want to know if you should actually major in tech. If I say it is fine, would you promise to minor in physics, electrical engineering or robotics or something that teaches you how to take apart tech equipment and rewire it? Tech is becoming increasingly complicated. To really make living, you should know the high end moving lights, digital sound software, and CAD drafting/modeling. Can you re-solder part of a circuit board while reaching off a 15 foot ladder while a music rehearsal is blasting below you? ;-) And know your way around audio visual stuff. Video projection and screens are big now. So make sure you have a wide technical knowledge. Then you can be the one person a theatre can't live without.

I actually teach a course in tech theatre and one of my lessons is titled "How to make a living at this...and not live in your parents' basement." Jobs I discuss include working as a roadie (great pay since you spend nothing and all your expenses are covered, but it is a rough gig), working in film, radio, or TV. Designing for dance, opera, concerts, live outdoor events. Audio/visual tech. Working at theatrical supply houses (as rent-a-designer or rent-a tech) Technical director for a theatre or school. Many cities own a theatre-type venue and they hire someone to be the building manager. They hire tech folks, wh then become the acting tech director of the venue. You can design, digitize, or be the person on the ladder. Jobs for techs are everywhere, even in this economy. Really.

If you have further questions, just ask! I am always happy to assist a tech.

Home Theatre Designing?




Abhishek K


I just got a new home and a have a room 20 X 15 which i want to use it as a home theater. Can you please guide me in designing it architecturally......i am not asking about audio and video systems but the room furnishing and designing it....any websites giving basic ideas about the furnishing part of it would be most welcomed....


Answer
Have a look here: http://www.diy-home-theater-design.com/ and do a search for DIY+home+theatre




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar