If I were going to Minneapolis what sites should I visit?




Eich (#14


And, what are some good, local restaurants (NOT FAST FOOD OR CHAIN) where I can eat at? And, is Minneapolis the place that has that huge mall (I think it's the biggest mall in the US)?

I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO MINNESOTA! Keep that in mind when you give me your answers. Thanks!!!!
K and Reader thank you for all this info. I'm excited to check it all out! I will be back!
Scooter, thank you, for the star!



Answer
Well, you could visit this site ...
http://www.minneapolis.org/page/1/see-do-minneapolis.jsp
or this one.
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~hreh0001/mpls.html
or this
http://www.ci.mpls.mn.us/residents/landmarks.asp

Yeah, the Mall of America is in Bloomington, which is a close in suburb. I swore I'd never go and I never have. That's just me though.
http://www.mallofamerica.com/about_moa_facts.aspx#/main/home/home

Uptown is very cool. It has a lot of funky shopping (though less so these days) and trendy restaurants. The Uptown Bar has great breakfasts and plenty of hungover rockers. There's a Famous Dave's in Calhoun Square that gets some decent bands. Figlio is in the same building and I've always loved it though it has a bit of a reputation as a pickup spot. - I - never had that problem and they have good Italian food and a nice atmosphere. Dulono's is nearby and has fantastic pizza, friendly bikers and a bluegrass night. It's probably my favorite neighborhood and it's right near a couple of the best lakes on the Chain of Lakes around which Mpls was built. Calhoun is nice but I have a soft spot for Lake of the Isles. You can rent rowboats and canoes on Calhoun if you're interested in that sort of thing. Lake Harriet is pretty and has a lovely bandshell with some good local musicians in the summertime.
http://www.uptownminneapolis.com/
http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=71

Head east on Lake St. and you'll come to Lyn-Lake which is much as Uptown was twenty some years ago. For a pickup lunch go to Falafel King, but there are a lot of cool places to stop around there. It's Greek To Me is an old favorite restaurant too. Tatters is a nice vintage-y rocker clothing and accessory store. I'm not sure what's come and gone lately.
http://www.secretsofthecity.com/guides/2009/restaurants/minneapolis/uptown-lyn-lake

Go a little further and you'll come to the Midtown Global Market which is the old local flagship Sears store which has been converted into a mall of small vendors of all ethnicities and focuses. Food abounds.
http://www.midtownglobalmarket.com/?q=republican-national-convention-4

If you want to raise the ghost of Dylan past go to Dinkytown and walk the street of Positively 4th Street fame. There are some cool campus-y shops and restaurants over there, including The Bookhouse, which is where I sold my books to. Annie's Parlour is ever popular and used to have great food. I haven't been in years.
http://www.dinkytownminneapolis.com/about/index.asp
http://www.bookhouseindinkytown.com/?page=shop/contactus&CLSN_2568=1235402161256839cce4e6c9da5292b2

If you want to go bowling go to Elsie's in Nordeast. They're cool and they have food and plenty of local microbrews, you know the kind of thing. NE is actually a pretty cool area these days but you would still do well to pretty much skip North. It doesn't have much to offer and it can be dangerous.
http://www.northeastminneapolis.com/

As for downtown it ain't what it used to be but you should take a tour anyway. Don't miss First Ave. which is the bar in which Purple Rain was filmed and where I've had some very wild fun in my younger days. Before I got 86ed, that is!
The Nicollet (pronounced nicklit, just so you know) Mall was the first (I believe) pedestrian mall in the country, where only buses and taxis were allowed. Don't forget to look at the skyways and pity us our winters, okay? The new library, designed by Cesar Pelli is also kind of great.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=mpls%20library%20pelli&w=all&s=int&referer_searched=1
http://www.downtownmpls.com/
http://www.first-avenue.com/
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Minnesota/Minneapolis-813712/Things_To_Do-Minneapolis-Nicollet_Mall-BR-1.html

The Walker Art Center is all new now, having eaten our beloved old Guthrie theatre, which is also all new in downtown. Anyway the Walker has a cool sculpture garden where you can see, among many other things, Claes Oldenberg's Spoonbridge and Cherry.
http://www.walkerart.org/index.wac
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_Sculpture_Garden

I haven't been here, but I love how they built it and it looks interesting.
http://www.millcitymuseum.org/

And the MN Center for the Book Arts is great too.
http://www.mnbookarts.org/theshop/theshop.html

Some of my favorite old time restaurants include The Market Barbeque and the Monte Carlo. I'll think of others, I'm sure
Oh, here's a place you might like:
http://www.loringcafe.com/
And a nouveau Asian hotspot that is all the rage, and is just a couple of blocks from where I spent much of my adult life.
http://www.aziarestaurant.com/
And just around the corner is this Mexican restaurant, nothing to look at, but tasty. That whole site might be worth your time to browse. That's the best free paper Mpls has left.
http://www.citypages.com/1996-07-03/restaurants/authentic-mexican-open-late/1?show=body

The Great Mississippi River Road is pretty cool too and well worth a leisurely drive.
http://www.mnmississippiriver.com/

You might want to check out Lake Minnetonka too. It's pretty and ritzy and has some nice fancy restaurant/bars.
http://www.lakeminnetonka.com/

Oooh, ooh, ooh!!! How could I forget?!? The coolest record store in the world where I have spent many happy moments (and dollars) ever since I first moved to Mpls in 1980. The Electric Fetus is a truly wonderful place. Also just blocks from much of my Mpls living through the years.
http://www.electricfetus.com/

Stillwater is a pretty town nearby, popular for antiqueing, known for being a book town, and full of shops and restaurants.
http://www.ilovestillwater.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stillwater,_Minnesota


Edit if there are any other particular sorts of things in which you're interested. I'm not on top of new restaurants.though, I'm afraid, and I won't discuss St. Paul. Sorry. It's just one of those things ...

***Edit) Bear in mind you're not getting a very normal shopping and dining girls perspective on her hometown. It's all I got though, and I still don't seem to be able to stop adding stuff.

Can you give me a few reasons why someone should choose minneapolis for tourism instead of any other city in..




A


the US?

I mean what distinguish Minneapolis than other cities? What is special about it?
Nawww I want positive stuff lol



Answer
Lots of lakes, connected by a single parkway. You could in theory bike or rollerblade from Cedar Lake in the north over to Lake Nokomis in the southeast.

Very hip art and theater scene. The warehouse district is home to a number of galleries and studios, but if you prefer classic or established artists, there's also the Walker Art Museum for contemporary art and the Art Institute of Minneapolis for ethnic, ancient, and European classical art. The Guthrie Theater, which specializes in productions of Shakespeare and other canonical plays, just built a new space on the Mississippi. Then there's the Weisman Art Museum, which houses the University of Minnesota's art collection. The building was designed by Frank Geary and is sometimes compared to a pile of exploding beer cans. (Though I kind of like it. Might be the shiniest building in the Cities.)

Oh, the Mississippi River, which is glorious to walk along even in the winter. The city is sprucing up the riverfront with restaurants and bars, and you can take a paddleboat tour of the Miss (though the tour out of St. Paul is better). Lake Itasca, which is a lot further north, is the source of the Mississippi.

Possibly the prettiest fall days of any Midwestern city. The Twin Cities Marathon, which comes up in October, is a huge draw for runners.

Mary Tyler Moore's house, if you are a fan. The Dayton's department store where she tossed her hat up in the air is now a Macy's.

The Mall of America is actually in Bloomington, a suburb of Minneapolis, but most people associate it with the city.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar