Building a Home Theater?




polors


I recently bought the 84-inch 4K Bravia, but no home theater or anything, just the free Blu-ray system. I was thinking of getting an 11.1 system but I don't know which brand can provide the best of that. I also have 2 components laying around and was wondering if I could use them too. Is it also possible to set it up like a cinema? With over-head speakers? My budget is good, but not so much. I was thinking something below 5K USD. Help is needed, thanks in advance!


Answer
You can get ideas by looking at home theaters others have built. A good place to start is the AVS Forum... http://www.avsforum.com/f/19/dedicated-theater-design-construction

Congratulations on the 4K, you're going to enjoy that for sure and it definitely warrants having a good sound system to go along with it. I wouldn't worry about the N.1 number of channels however since there really isn't much source material even in 7.1 much less 11. My personal theater is 5.2 http://www.mfk-projects.com/home_theatre.htm and I never had any complaints about not having enough surround channels. It uses two pair of side surrounds built into decorative columns along with one pair of rear speakers that are simply combined into the single set of surround channels. They are powered by a six channel amplifier so each has its own amplifier channel but the signal is all the same.

You could put in overhead speakers and extract center surround channel information from existing surround channels. Denon and some others do make 9.2 systems so that would make a good starting point but again, I think you are going for overkill in the wrong direction. I would suggest staying with 5.2 or 7.2 and go for overkill in sound quality not surround channel quantity. That was the goal of my theatre and it worked pretty well.

One suggestion would be to use two subwoofers. Two will produce more uniform bass throughout the listening area. Also generally the larger the subwoofer the better. Having a lot of surface area moving just a little is better than a smaller surface area moving farther. This means the cone's don't need to move as fast and thus produce less extraneous noise such as "chuffing" noise etc. Especially if you have several large cone subwoofers the cone excursion and velocity requirement really goes down. There is a misconception among some that larger cones are "sluggish" and that smaller cones produce "faster" bass. This actually isn't true, if the bass were "faster" it would be a higher frequency. What can be faster is the transient but this comes from having more surface area moving less and slower. Think about it, if a given cone area has to move +/- one inch to move a certain amount of air and a 10x larger cone area only has to move +/- 0.1 inch to move the same air the larger cone only has to move 1/10 the velocity to do the same job. Believe me, having multiple larger cones produces transients that will have your guest just about jumping over their seats backwards! You will get a lot more punch out of your movie experience with this than you will ever get out of having up-teen numbers of surround channels.

You may want to consider DIY building your own speakers but being inexperienced in this you would probably want to stick to kits or proven designs by experienced DIY builders. Parts Express and Madisound are the two top suppliers for this. If done correctly DIY speakers can provide much more quality for the buck than simply buying off the shelf systems. Most commercially available speakers within your $5K budget are not very good whereas you can do really well on that budget in DIY.

Have fun building and enjoy that 4K TV!

mk

Home Theater Design Template?




sdchap


I'm starting construction on our basement home theater & want the acoustics to be stunning (since I've invested far more on the hardware than I'd planned).
I also want it to look nice.
I've spent the requisite hours reviewing the postings at AVS Forums, etc. As a non-technical person who's slow on the uptake, with a limited budget, I'm more confused than ever.
Isn't there some sort of "template" I can use to build an acoustically tuned HT on a budget, given my room dimensions?
For example, I've used templates to calculate the optimal seating positions, acoustically and DTS.
But what about budget-minded materials & treatments for the ceiling, floors & walls? I have access to rock-wool.
I now know how to make budget bass-traps in the room's corners. I'd like to carpet the floor. That's it.

My room has poured concrete walls, ceiling and floor. It measures 160" x 229", with 91" a high ceiling.
It has a door in the middle of one of the shorter walls, and a tiny window in one long wall.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I already own the equipment:
Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR7000
Speakers: Vienna Acoustics Schönberg series
*Schönberg
*Berg
*Webern
*SVS PB10 Subwoofer
InFocus SP4805 Projector
OPPO DVD Player
GOO painted screen

Also, I live in a small village in Austria, so an on-sit consultation could be problematic.



Answer
try out a yamaha sound projector. i do custom electronics installation and i love them. you dont need to worry about acoustics and all that with the YSP. it shoots out beams of sounds and creates the surround sound effect without all the cost and labor. I think a YSP costs about $1000....i THINK. its easy to setup. if you really want a great theater. take a look at soundesigninc.com We do some great work.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar