Has anyone ever been to the Palladium Ballroom?




Cheex23


I'm going to a concert that will take place there and I am just wondering what to expect.


Answer
The Palladium has become my new favorite venue. (I like small venues because there's less crowds and lines, not to mention less people shoving against you all the time or groping.) It looks like a theater on the inside, with a few bars added on either side. It's surprisingly spacious, something I was not expecting, but it still has the "small club" kinda feel to it. Sizing wise, It's like the House of Blues in Dallas' standing room area (if you've ever been), maybe slightly smaller. There's no balcony seating, it's standing room only. But the bar separating the stage from the crowd is about 3 feet across, so if you manage to get up to the bar, you get the see the band THAT CLOSE. And it was pretty easy to navigate through the crowd too with a few "excuse me"s and "sorry"s, I saw All That Remains there last week which is a pretty big name. Unlike the House of Blues, there's not a "no moshing" sign (which people never listened to anyway, as I noticed at Dragonforce's show there last year.) So if you're worried about the pits (i'm not sure what band/genre you're seeing), they're pretty small and harmless and nice people usually close it off so that smaller people (namely, GIRLS) don't get sucked in/hurt.

It's got high ceilings (in the main theater area,) there's no line for the bathroom and you can get really close to the band. The side monitors can be overpowering at some points though so try to get a spot in the center if you can, I had to plug my ears at several points just to save my hearing, and they were still ringing like crazy when I got home.

I'm planning on seeing Megadeth there (hopefully) in December, so you can bet I like the Palladium. (I was shocked to see people like Wilco and ATR playing there since it's smaller than the House of Blues!)

Anyway, enjoy your concert and have fun (I know I did)!!! :D

Is the relative proliferation of fast food restaurants and lack of family dinner time worsening obesity stats?




Gibby


I live in Kansas City, Missouri, USA, which is the city closest to the population and geographic center of America. I think I'm about as representative of "ugly Americans" (in this case fat and ugly) as possible.

One thing that I've noticed in my travels from Seattle to Bakersfield to Dallas to Charlotte to Northern New England to Detroit and back home again is the absolute PROLIFERATION of fast food restaurants everywhere in the country. For example, in Kansas City, there's Lamar's Donuts & Gates and Sons BBQ & Papa Johns Pizza in every little burg and suburb. When I was in Rhode Island four years ago, there were Dunkin Donuts literally every HALF-A-BLOCK of so. Try to drive around Dallas without running into six Braum's Ice Cream drive thrus and Whataburgers per mile.

At the same time, in America, divorce rates have risen exponentially in the past 50 years. The whole idea of the mom like Lucielle Ball preparing dinner for Ricky Ricardo and little Ricky is done and over with. Therefore, more people are single or single parents, and they get tired and end up ordering a pizza or driving thru KFC.

My mom said that she remembered when the only McDonald's in a 50 mile radius of where she grew up was in Columbia, Missouri, where the University of Mizzou was located. Recently the symphony in KC closed the Lyric theater, built in 1950, and replaced it with a mammoth Kauffman Center with double wide seats.

In 1950, my Uncle Dick was a Marine at 5''6" and 130 lbs., which was strapping, big and muscular in that day. I'm 6'1" and 300+ lbs. And I'm not the only man that I know that big or bigger.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm addicted to fast food. I know my obesity is ultimately my fault, but should Americans like me avoid all fast food? Are we like alcoholics in a liquor super store?



Answer
Fast food isn't the problem per se. The issue lies the the amount of carbohydrates we're eating. The sugar, sodas, sweets, bread, wheat, pasta, potatoes, fries, rice, grains, cereals are the problem. Fast food restaurants contribute, but if you order just a burger and say no to the fries and soda then it's actually quite a balanced meal.

The real concern is the government that has been pushing the "low fat" mantra for the last 50 years. When they say low fat they mean high carbs and that is fueling the agricultural industry to produce more corn, wheat, soya, etc. Those foods go into the "convenience" food category and we just can't get enough.

We're over-weight because of the generally high consumption of carbs, not because of fast food restaurant (although they contribute to the problem to a degree).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar