Nox b
I am looking to buy a full home theater. TV, Sound System, Blu Ray, Gaming systems. I really like the 46" to 65"" tv's. I really don't know what the best kind of tv is. Plasma, LCD, LED. I'm very confused. I just want the best kind of tv. Sound Systems...well i just have no idea what makes something like that good. Please suggestions would be amazing. Blu Ray....well i know that samsung and sony are great. but how about a ps3. I mentioned game systems. I already have a xbox 360 and i love it. now i want to get a ps3 for the few select games. Is the blu ray player in a ps3 really good? or should i buy a separate blu ray player to get the most out of my equipment? I guess all im asking is what all should I get to get the most out of a home theater? Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.
Answer
If you want a real home theater, you need a projector and screen. No TV can match the experience of watching a movie (or playing a game) on a ten-foot screen. Completely different experience, it draws you in and makes it real.
Plus you can buy a good 1080p projector and screen for far less than the cost of a 60" plasma. 1080p projectors under $1000 are starting to appear, but if you want a good projector, spend about $1500-2500. This is what I would recommend, the price is down because a new model has been announced:
http://www.visualapex.com/Panasonic/projector-specifications.asp?for-the=PT-AE3000U
You also need a good sound system with a real subwoofer. You can spend thousands, but this system is about the best you can get for under $1000:
http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
The Blu-ray player in the PS3 is quite good, not much reason to get a separate player if you want the PS3 for games.
If you want a real home theater, you need a projector and screen. No TV can match the experience of watching a movie (or playing a game) on a ten-foot screen. Completely different experience, it draws you in and makes it real.
Plus you can buy a good 1080p projector and screen for far less than the cost of a 60" plasma. 1080p projectors under $1000 are starting to appear, but if you want a good projector, spend about $1500-2500. This is what I would recommend, the price is down because a new model has been announced:
http://www.visualapex.com/Panasonic/projector-specifications.asp?for-the=PT-AE3000U
You also need a good sound system with a real subwoofer. You can spend thousands, but this system is about the best you can get for under $1000:
http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
The Blu-ray player in the PS3 is quite good, not much reason to get a separate player if you want the PS3 for games.
I need home theater ideas.(Read description)?
Q. I have a, sort of dull but not really, shag carpet. with newly painted mid-dark grey walls, some cabinets that i dont know what color to paint, it has a black ceiling.
Still need an HD projector that i can hook up an xbox to through an HMDI cable
A color to paint the cabinets
new Lighting
a color for the couches (currently white) im going to get some couch covers
Need a speaker system
If u can think of other cheap things to do to this room add it in your answer
Thanks guys this will help a lot
Still need an HD projector that i can hook up an xbox to through an HMDI cable
A color to paint the cabinets
new Lighting
a color for the couches (currently white) im going to get some couch covers
Need a speaker system
If u can think of other cheap things to do to this room add it in your answer
Thanks guys this will help a lot
Answer
The key with colors is to keep it non reflective. Darker colors work well but you don't want to turn your room into a cave either. I used a medium gray on the upper portion above the chair rails for my walls using Ralph Lauren River Rock paint... http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/products/paint/finishes/items.aspx?haid=75 This paint has a slight texture to it that helps diffract reflected light. It worked out perfectly on my walls because the gray I chose was light enough to prevent the room from seeming like a dark cave and yet created no reflection problems. You may want to paint your cabinets using that paint. Also, don't put things like movie posters on the walls of the theatre. If you have a lobby area at the entry of your theatre then that's the place to put that stuff. Especially glass covered posters on the walls of the theatre itself is a disaster, the reflections make for a serious distraction.
For a projector I personally like JVC but there are a lot of nice projectors out there these days that are 1080p and work great. You may want to consider making your screen aspect ration 2.4:1 as opposed to 16:9 so you can avoid the black bars top and bottom. Most movies these days are in either 2.35:1 or 2.4:1. The ideal way to do this is to use video scaling and an anamorphic lens placed in front of the projector. The newer JVC projectors have the video scaling built in to do the vertical stretch. What happens is that a 2.4:1 movie will not use the entire 16:9 imaging device inside the projector. There are black bars on the imaging device even if you adjust your zoom so there are none on the screen. You're only using around 800 of the 1080 p lines. The video scaling vertically stretches the image to fill the imaging device. On the screen everyone appears tall and skinny so you place the anamorphic lens in front of the projector and it stretches the image horizontally restoring the proper aspect ratio. You're now using your entire imaging device meaning you don't lose any light capacity. This is called a "CIH" system or Constant Image Height. I use a Prismasonic Lens... http://www.prismasonic.com/english/compatibility.shtml These have the advantage of being adjustable.
I can't help you much on recommending commercially available speakers because I personally think most all of them suck. Many here will recommend the typical mass market brands like Polk and Klipsch and perhaps these are good enough for you but I've spent nearly 40 years designing and building my own and personally find those brands along with most far more expensive brands to be sub par. In the near future Parts Express will be marketing a Ground Plain CBT Line Array kit that will be ideal for home theatre... http://www.parts-express.com/cbt36/index.cfm?&utm_source=Catalog&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=DON+KEELE+CATALOG&utm_campaign=Catalog_2011 These should work quite well once they are available. Of course you have to build them.
As for a subwoofer it you have the space a multiple large driver Infinite Baffle system will far outperform the most expensive conventional box subwoofers. Personally I use open baffle dipole subwoofers and if you have the space for those they are even better to a point. Below the lowest room mode dipole roll off rapidly and the cone excursion requirements go through the roof. Based on your room modes you would want to crossover to an IB at some point. My room and subs are large enough to push it flat down to about 13 Hz but if and when I get an IB system completed I'll cross over at around 18 Hz with the IB covering from single digits to 18.
You may want to consider a DIY screen. You can buy screen material here... http://store.cousinsvideo.com/cut-to-size.html I'm using a 1.3 gain material but yours may be different based on your projector, viewing angle, and ambient lighting.
A good resource is the AVS forum theater build thread... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=60&f=19 You can see a lot of examples there plus gain the knowledge of the regulars on the forum.
My own web site is here... http://mfk-projects.com/home_theatre.htm I do not market anything but you may use any of my ideas/designs etc.
Good luck with your build and have fun!
mk
The key with colors is to keep it non reflective. Darker colors work well but you don't want to turn your room into a cave either. I used a medium gray on the upper portion above the chair rails for my walls using Ralph Lauren River Rock paint... http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/products/paint/finishes/items.aspx?haid=75 This paint has a slight texture to it that helps diffract reflected light. It worked out perfectly on my walls because the gray I chose was light enough to prevent the room from seeming like a dark cave and yet created no reflection problems. You may want to paint your cabinets using that paint. Also, don't put things like movie posters on the walls of the theatre. If you have a lobby area at the entry of your theatre then that's the place to put that stuff. Especially glass covered posters on the walls of the theatre itself is a disaster, the reflections make for a serious distraction.
For a projector I personally like JVC but there are a lot of nice projectors out there these days that are 1080p and work great. You may want to consider making your screen aspect ration 2.4:1 as opposed to 16:9 so you can avoid the black bars top and bottom. Most movies these days are in either 2.35:1 or 2.4:1. The ideal way to do this is to use video scaling and an anamorphic lens placed in front of the projector. The newer JVC projectors have the video scaling built in to do the vertical stretch. What happens is that a 2.4:1 movie will not use the entire 16:9 imaging device inside the projector. There are black bars on the imaging device even if you adjust your zoom so there are none on the screen. You're only using around 800 of the 1080 p lines. The video scaling vertically stretches the image to fill the imaging device. On the screen everyone appears tall and skinny so you place the anamorphic lens in front of the projector and it stretches the image horizontally restoring the proper aspect ratio. You're now using your entire imaging device meaning you don't lose any light capacity. This is called a "CIH" system or Constant Image Height. I use a Prismasonic Lens... http://www.prismasonic.com/english/compatibility.shtml These have the advantage of being adjustable.
I can't help you much on recommending commercially available speakers because I personally think most all of them suck. Many here will recommend the typical mass market brands like Polk and Klipsch and perhaps these are good enough for you but I've spent nearly 40 years designing and building my own and personally find those brands along with most far more expensive brands to be sub par. In the near future Parts Express will be marketing a Ground Plain CBT Line Array kit that will be ideal for home theatre... http://www.parts-express.com/cbt36/index.cfm?&utm_source=Catalog&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=DON+KEELE+CATALOG&utm_campaign=Catalog_2011 These should work quite well once they are available. Of course you have to build them.
As for a subwoofer it you have the space a multiple large driver Infinite Baffle system will far outperform the most expensive conventional box subwoofers. Personally I use open baffle dipole subwoofers and if you have the space for those they are even better to a point. Below the lowest room mode dipole roll off rapidly and the cone excursion requirements go through the roof. Based on your room modes you would want to crossover to an IB at some point. My room and subs are large enough to push it flat down to about 13 Hz but if and when I get an IB system completed I'll cross over at around 18 Hz with the IB covering from single digits to 18.
You may want to consider a DIY screen. You can buy screen material here... http://store.cousinsvideo.com/cut-to-size.html I'm using a 1.3 gain material but yours may be different based on your projector, viewing angle, and ambient lighting.
A good resource is the AVS forum theater build thread... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=60&f=19 You can see a lot of examples there plus gain the knowledge of the regulars on the forum.
My own web site is here... http://mfk-projects.com/home_theatre.htm I do not market anything but you may use any of my ideas/designs etc.
Good luck with your build and have fun!
mk
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar