Good home theater design book?




Gary B


OK, I know there are lots of books on the electronics. But what I am more interested in are the considerations that go into room design of a HT. Examples of the kinds of questions I need answers to:
- How do I best proportion the room?
- Should I enclose the projector for noise reasons, and if so, what about cooling?
- I see all these rooms with stages at the front. I read about vague acoustic benefits of such stages, but cannot find any real explanations.
- What are the best room proportions? If I can't do the ideal proportions, what are the consequences?
- Is there a certain amount of room required between the seating and the side walls?
- What's e minimum ceiling height needed (and consequences for violating)? I see recommendations of having 8-10 foot ceilings but that's an unattainable luxury. And is it a good trade off to give up some ceiling height for acoustic drop ceiling?
- Do I need special heating ducts and returns?
- What about acoustic wall treatments? I read you want sound deadening "but not too much." Is there any any way to quantify this?

I recognize I can hire somebody to figure all this out for me, but surely there are books that explain it all. I've seen http://www.home--theater.com but wonder how good an eBook is where every google hit is a site selling it. Thanks!



Answer
Mark Flishman (from Home Theater Magazine) has a update to his guide.

F. Alton Everest has a book called "Sound Studio Construction on a Budget" which is a great book on basic room acoustics. He has 'formulas' in the back for several sound studios - and 2 for home-theater rooms.

You might also check out CEDIA: http://www.cedia.net/

This is a organization that teaches stores/installers how to do everything from basic to high-end media rooms.

You might also check out AVS Fourms. They have a section on dedicated HT rooms. Reading the designs and issues the users faced will probably answer most of your questions - and generate more.

Hope this helps.

What is a good home theater design?

Q. I want to turn my basement into a home theater. My basement is VERY long and BIG but not very wide. It is wide, but not so much. Any ideas for a home theater design that is not a lot of money? Maybe a little popcorn machine too? :) A few movie posters?


Answer
Comfortable Seating and viewing angles is
a good place to start. Be sure to place your
speakers in a position so you can hear all
of them equally, from your favorite vantage
point(s). I hope this will get you going in the
right direction. If you can get all this done to
your satisfaction; then you can decorate your
Theater to your taste! I wish you and yours well!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar