Q. I was at in Dallas airport and a man came to me and said, I hate ya'll Houston people and walked off. There have been other bad experiences with Dallas people.
Answer
I live in Houston, my sister lives in Dallas.
I call Dallas "the Neiman Marcus City". It is probably the snootiest, most socially exclusive and "proper" place in Texas... which means it is still warm and welcoming by East Coast standards, but you will find more self-important and stuck up people in Dallas than any other City in Texas. The big haired lady with the black American Express Card who looks at you like you smell bad because your polo shirt is LAST years brand is probably from Dallas. The social belles of Dallas spent so much time and effort looking down on Fort Worth it just sort of became a habit.
Houston is just the opposite. Houston is very freewheeling. It is the largest city in American that has NO ZONING. Yes, you can pretty much build whatever you want wherever you want here. (I love this because it means I can walk to the grocery store, the liquor store, the car repair place, and some great Italian resturants). Houston isn't wierd like Austin, (almost every Judge in Harris County is a Republican, yes we elect our Judges here) but Houston is NOT proper. We have both the largest church in the USA (Lakewood Church) and some rather well known strip clubs. Houston is the city where oil workers and port workers live, go to Church, and sometimes get rich. It was best defined by a line overheard at the Republican National Convention... "William, you need to stop drinking now or you will be hung over at the prayer breakfast." Some of Dallas' suburbs are in counties that are still "dry", and people have to drive several miles so they can buy liqour . (Though the Baptists do that anyway so they won't bump into each other at the liqour store.)
While Dallas is trying very hard to be a very "whitebread" city, Houston has a large African-American presence and huge immigrant communities. We have "Little Siagon", Indian and Pakistani neighborhoods, Japanese and Chinese neighborhoods (we used to live in one), and wide and varied Hispanic community with Mexicans, Hondurans, and South Americans. (The resturants here are really good.) We have huge refineries and chemical plants that pay good wages, and when people complain that they stink up the place (which they do at times) we tell people "It smells like money to me."
Because we have money without being "proper" or "well bred" some people up in Dallas think we are uncultured, beer swilling yahoos... despite the fact we have a symphony, balet, more theater seats than any city besides New York, concerts, and opera, Rice University, a suburb full of NASA rocket scientists, and we throw parties where astronauts, moonwalkers, and presidents are on the guest list. I think they resent the fact we also have oodles and oodles of good paying oil jobs and lots of money...(though Dallas is no slouch on the oil and gas industry either, Houston IS THE energy city) but inspite of our money we still know how to have a good time.
We resent Dallas because they look down on us for no reason. Sure they took a chunk of hot, dry, and stunningly ugly prarie and turned it into an exciting, vibrant, and important American city, that's a major accomplishment, but that doesn't automatically put them in the same league with London or Paris or Rome. We find the fact that Dallas seems to think it does as sort of laughable. Also the Cowboys (who play in Iriving, NOT the City of Dallas) only stink periodically, while the Oilers and the Texans have ALWAYS stunk... worse than the chemical plants south of town... so that is the cause for some friction.
The best way to sum up the relationship came in 1993 after the Cowboys won Super Bowl XXVII. When the Cowboys came home the City of Dallas gave them a parade, and people from all over the city came to cheer. This meant that some gangbangers were outside their normal territory, and when they saw each other in the crowd at the parade they had a fight. The Houston reporter finished the report on this by saying "I guess this means the Dallas Police Department STILL hasn't gotten that whole MOTORCADE thing down...."
I live in Houston, my sister lives in Dallas.
I call Dallas "the Neiman Marcus City". It is probably the snootiest, most socially exclusive and "proper" place in Texas... which means it is still warm and welcoming by East Coast standards, but you will find more self-important and stuck up people in Dallas than any other City in Texas. The big haired lady with the black American Express Card who looks at you like you smell bad because your polo shirt is LAST years brand is probably from Dallas. The social belles of Dallas spent so much time and effort looking down on Fort Worth it just sort of became a habit.
Houston is just the opposite. Houston is very freewheeling. It is the largest city in American that has NO ZONING. Yes, you can pretty much build whatever you want wherever you want here. (I love this because it means I can walk to the grocery store, the liquor store, the car repair place, and some great Italian resturants). Houston isn't wierd like Austin, (almost every Judge in Harris County is a Republican, yes we elect our Judges here) but Houston is NOT proper. We have both the largest church in the USA (Lakewood Church) and some rather well known strip clubs. Houston is the city where oil workers and port workers live, go to Church, and sometimes get rich. It was best defined by a line overheard at the Republican National Convention... "William, you need to stop drinking now or you will be hung over at the prayer breakfast." Some of Dallas' suburbs are in counties that are still "dry", and people have to drive several miles so they can buy liqour . (Though the Baptists do that anyway so they won't bump into each other at the liqour store.)
While Dallas is trying very hard to be a very "whitebread" city, Houston has a large African-American presence and huge immigrant communities. We have "Little Siagon", Indian and Pakistani neighborhoods, Japanese and Chinese neighborhoods (we used to live in one), and wide and varied Hispanic community with Mexicans, Hondurans, and South Americans. (The resturants here are really good.) We have huge refineries and chemical plants that pay good wages, and when people complain that they stink up the place (which they do at times) we tell people "It smells like money to me."
Because we have money without being "proper" or "well bred" some people up in Dallas think we are uncultured, beer swilling yahoos... despite the fact we have a symphony, balet, more theater seats than any city besides New York, concerts, and opera, Rice University, a suburb full of NASA rocket scientists, and we throw parties where astronauts, moonwalkers, and presidents are on the guest list. I think they resent the fact we also have oodles and oodles of good paying oil jobs and lots of money...(though Dallas is no slouch on the oil and gas industry either, Houston IS THE energy city) but inspite of our money we still know how to have a good time.
We resent Dallas because they look down on us for no reason. Sure they took a chunk of hot, dry, and stunningly ugly prarie and turned it into an exciting, vibrant, and important American city, that's a major accomplishment, but that doesn't automatically put them in the same league with London or Paris or Rome. We find the fact that Dallas seems to think it does as sort of laughable. Also the Cowboys (who play in Iriving, NOT the City of Dallas) only stink periodically, while the Oilers and the Texans have ALWAYS stunk... worse than the chemical plants south of town... so that is the cause for some friction.
The best way to sum up the relationship came in 1993 after the Cowboys won Super Bowl XXVII. When the Cowboys came home the City of Dallas gave them a parade, and people from all over the city came to cheer. This meant that some gangbangers were outside their normal territory, and when they saw each other in the crowd at the parade they had a fight. The Houston reporter finished the report on this by saying "I guess this means the Dallas Police Department STILL hasn't gotten that whole MOTORCADE thing down...."
Did I really mess up with this girl?
TLopez
So there's this girl (let's call her A) I've known for a couple months that I really like, and I'm a lesbian but she's straight. She also knows I'm a lesbian and most of my friends do too so we've all been hanging out a lot and just two days ago my friends helped me out and got us to kiss during a dare when we were a bit drunk. It was lovely, I made it a bit awkward since I was really shy and hesitant but she was confident and just leaned in and kissed me on the lip. Then after the night it was all great, lots of fun and we talked a lot and hung out all weekend. However yesterday when we all went to watch a movie and some of us decided to drink and watch it and I got a little overboard with getting overly drunk. I went into the theater and starting begging my other friend (let's call her B) to let me sit next to her. My friend is really against it since she doesn't want me to get attached to a straight girl so she didn't move. Eventually B went to the washroom and I just moved over and sat next to A. Then B comes back and yells at me to get out of her seat and then makes everyone move down a seat and A is like why? B starts going on about how I wanted to sit only next to A and she said it so loud in front of everyone. Then after it was so awkward for me, I just left to the washroom and starting calling other people to come out and calm me down. Then I just went home eventually and then later messaged A that I was sorry for making it awkward and she said "it's k, dw" (like a slang for don't worry) but then I'm like oh okay, what's up? Then she didn't reply and usually she replies really fast or in long sentences. I really feel so embarrassed and felt like I just lost her. What should I do?
Answer
I can understand if you want to repair a friendship and make things cool between you and "A". That was really messed up what "B" did. But I have a feeling "A" got kinds freaked out because she now knows you like her and she is not into girls. Its not as though you lost her, you never really had her. You guys had one drunk kiss on a dare. Ive seen lots of drunk straight girls kiss at partys and it's usually just for the hell of it, its not like they date up afterwards. Some straight girls are flattered when another girl likes them and some times that can lead to some experimentation. othertimes it can scare them away. Think about it as if a guy were to come onto you... you don't like guys, that's flattering of him but you aren't interested in men. You gotta consider this same outlook for "A". And if this guy kept pursuing you even knowing your a lesbian you might even end up getting a little insulted after a while. So put yourself in her shoes and recognize how uncomfortable the situation might be for her.
I can understand if you want to repair a friendship and make things cool between you and "A". That was really messed up what "B" did. But I have a feeling "A" got kinds freaked out because she now knows you like her and she is not into girls. Its not as though you lost her, you never really had her. You guys had one drunk kiss on a dare. Ive seen lots of drunk straight girls kiss at partys and it's usually just for the hell of it, its not like they date up afterwards. Some straight girls are flattered when another girl likes them and some times that can lead to some experimentation. othertimes it can scare them away. Think about it as if a guy were to come onto you... you don't like guys, that's flattering of him but you aren't interested in men. You gotta consider this same outlook for "A". And if this guy kept pursuing you even knowing your a lesbian you might even end up getting a little insulted after a while. So put yourself in her shoes and recognize how uncomfortable the situation might be for her.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar