Good home theater design book?




Gary B


OK, I know there are lots of books on the electronics. But what I am more interested in are the considerations that go into room design of a HT. Examples of the kinds of questions I need answers to:
- How do I best proportion the room?
- Should I enclose the projector for noise reasons, and if so, what about cooling?
- I see all these rooms with stages at the front. I read about vague acoustic benefits of such stages, but cannot find any real explanations.
- What are the best room proportions? If I can't do the ideal proportions, what are the consequences?
- Is there a certain amount of room required between the seating and the side walls?
- What's e minimum ceiling height needed (and consequences for violating)? I see recommendations of having 8-10 foot ceilings but that's an unattainable luxury. And is it a good trade off to give up some ceiling height for acoustic drop ceiling?
- Do I need special heating ducts and returns?
- What about acoustic wall treatments? I read you want sound deadening "but not too much." Is there any any way to quantify this?

I recognize I can hire somebody to figure all this out for me, but surely there are books that explain it all. I've seen http://www.home--theater.com but wonder how good an eBook is where every google hit is a site selling it. Thanks!



Answer
Mark Flishman (from Home Theater Magazine) has a update to his guide.

F. Alton Everest has a book called "Sound Studio Construction on a Budget" which is a great book on basic room acoustics. He has 'formulas' in the back for several sound studios - and 2 for home-theater rooms.

You might also check out CEDIA: http://www.cedia.net/

This is a organization that teaches stores/installers how to do everything from basic to high-end media rooms.

You might also check out AVS Fourms. They have a section on dedicated HT rooms. Reading the designs and issues the users faced will probably answer most of your questions - and generate more.

Hope this helps.

How do I design and build a home theater?




David C





Answer
That requires a long answer and more information from you. Dedicated home theatres (HT) can cost $100K or more, or be built for a few thousand (including equipment).

Some questions to answer:
- What type of home theatre? For a small-medium TV/DVD combination? For music and video? For a projection setup?
- Where? If in an existing room, this will define some of the constraints. For example, seating distance will largely determine screen size. If a new room for the HT this has it's own demands based on many variables.
- How fussy will you be about acoustics and sound proofing?
- What electrical and other wiring requirements are there? For example, do you require hidden wiring, connection to internet or a home network, or cable or satellite?

I don't want to scare you, but many factors interrrelate and need to be worked through. The more you think about and plan the better the result will be.

You also need to be realistic. If you have limited funds you will want to do much of the work yourself, but do you have the expertise? A HT is great (I took a year to plan and build am just now enjoying the results .. and I'm not finished) but it is not an easy project to take on yourself.

nuff said. Have a look at the construction and design threads on AVS Forum (See link to home page). Read all you can about home theatre equipment(e.g. for projectors read Projector Central. Consider seating and screen design .. see links) design ..... and go for what you can realistically take on.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar