Will adding a theater add to the value of my home?




Flash


I'm looking to convert my living room into a full fledged theater. Since it has a perfect shape for this (long and rectangular), I figured it was as good as time as any to do it.

Here's the details on the major construction. I'd seal up the one window in the room to make it as dark as possible. Then, about 3/4 of the way back, build an 8 inch riser the rest of the way. 2 rows of seating, each seats 3, and a 4 person high bar in the back with a small wet bar in the corner. It would have in-wall speakers and the front wall would have an automatic 135 inch pull down projection screen.

Basically, this would be a permanent conversion.

Now would doing this add value to my home if I choose to sell in 5 or 10 years (the theater would be left behind, including all A/V equipment). I've heard various reports that because it's "specialized", it would add nothing to the overall value of the home. But then because it's specialized, I've also read reports stating it would make the home "One of a kind".

Anybody know the true answer before I install this? Granted, I'm doing this for "me", but I always look in the long run of things.

Thanks for any help.



Answer
I think you have answered your own question. If this is the only livingroom in the home, then it would not add to the value, as the general public wants a regular livingroom, and would like a theatre room separate from this. Doing it for yourself is great, and it never hurts to look ahead. Sounds like you have created a great room for yourself.

Bass Shakers for my home theater?




ComradeGru


I have recently taken an interest in bass shakers and I would love to add a few into my home theater. I have a decent JBL system consisting of 2 floor standers as my front left/right with a Sub12 as my sub. My surrounds and centers are JBL's Control NOW speakers. All in all, its a great entry level system. I think it would be taken to a new level with bass shakers though...

I know what I would need for bass shakers (Ie. A separate amp, mounting places for the shakers themselves, etc.) But I do not know how much power I need them to have in order to get a tangible effect on a 3 person couch.

The Shakers I have in mind are Dayton "Pucks" because they really aren't that expensive at all (I don't wish to spend a fortune on shakers) and they are rated at 30lbs/foot peak power when 4 of them are active on one seat. I am planning getting four of them to hook up to the four corners of my 3 person couch... is that 30lbs peak enough? I assume they'll run around 10 or 15 lbs/foot RMS... would that be enough?

Thanks ahead of time, I'm new to these things.



Answer
That sound like it would be more than enough for a couch. Just be sure it's a well built couch or could could cause adverse effects. The couches structure can literally start to deteriorate and make squeaking noises after a while.

I would recommend starting with two shakers. You can always buy more later. But you may find that two is quite enough. And instead of putting them on each corner, try putting them on the lower, back edge about a third of the way in from each end. This should give you an even dispersion.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar